It may or may not be shameful to say – but in Australia, since the iPhone 3G came out (2nd iPhone) – I have gotten a new iPhone every year – 3G, 3GS, 4.
I did need to change my contracts – so I have some excuse.. I would sell the phone and upgrade.. –_–;;;
Anyway – I won a competition with Google, and got a Nexus S from them ^__^
It is so good – but I guess many smartphones will be similar in many ways.. just details..
Here are some big things for me:
- There is an app called ES File Explorer, which lets you see your phone’s file system, and also FTP, LAN and Bluetooth network file systems.
This is so amazing !!! you’d never be able to do this on an iPhone!!
So Android phones (that are not locked with carriers), are like computers ^__^..more and more…
So pretty much – no more iTunes – I never need to plug my phone into a computer… transferring images from the web, Google Music Beta-Like sync with SugarSync (wireless syncing of music with shared folders, playing music with Winamp) and you can download files from FTP servers, backup files, download files from the Internet etc.
- Home screen widgets ~ yayy~
there is a list of all apps, but on the homescreens, you can have anything –
My favorite are the time/date/weather/etc. and settings widgets.
- My desktop’s Ethernet plug died, so – no internet for a while – but Android saved the day – PDAnet – sharing WIFI with computer (like 3G tethering, but faster)
again – would never happen with iPhone unless you had some dirty hack..
- Real turn-by-turn audio GPS for free ^__^
- You can set other 3rd party applications as default apps –
SMS Go pro (free) scheduling SMS, Firefox browser, WinAmp
CONS X__X I wish there were none… /ok, there are none/
- Camera: no touch to focus yet? /fixed/
- Was freezing up on homescreens – that would (almost) never hapen on an iPhone) /fixed/
- No easy screenshot? /fixed/
- No easy Japanese keyboard..? /fixed/
- No Emoji system wide u_u,, /fixed/
Since the time of publishing, I have gotten a Nexus 4 which was the top of the line phone end of 2012 and half the price of an iPhone. It is shiny beautiful and runs wonderfully, many more features and apps.